Friday, February 28, 2014

My Journey Becoming a Fitness Instructor


This is something I never thought I would do.  I've always enjoyed going to the gym and working out through the years.  I would go to the gym off and on as a young adult so I've always looked fit.  My body always looked toned because I am a petite woman who tried to eat healthy but when I hit the fabulous age of 40 I noticed my body was not looking as toned and noticed muscle mass started deteriorating.  I'd not been in the gym for a few years with two kids one college age, the other in junior high and a husband and giving all my attention to my family.

I've been working out at few gym for a couple of years and I kind of always wonder about being an instructor and what does it take to become one.  I really enjoy taking Thi Chi/yoga/Pilates, RPM spin, and strength core training and I would really enjoy instructing.   Now in my mind this sounds really great to be an instructor in the gym and stay physically fit at the same but I've never taught a class of any kind before.  Fitness and health have always been my passion.  I've been thinking of how I can incorporate this passion into my way of my life at another level.

Well, one day at the gym after taking my normal Monday routine workout of RPM and Body flow class the fitness instructor whom I've become familiar with says  after class "Hey, have you ever thought about being coming a fitness instructor?  You have really good form and I think you would be good. "  Wow!  Excitement just ran throughout my body.  Thank you God I thought to myself.  I've been secretly contemplating my interest of becoming a fitness instructor as part as my lifestyle change.  I called and talked to my husband and he said "well you only live once go for it".  I also talked to two other well trusted friends of mine and they were excited for me too.

So my journey begins of becoming a fitness instructor and first step was talking to the assistant manager of the gym and tell her that  I was recruited by one of their fitness instructors and I am very interested in the opportunity.  I completed an online application which was like taking a SAT to be scored for admittance to college.  One week later I received and email saying they were interested and that I've been invited to an AUDITION!  What! Audition!  I've not had to audition since I took dance decades ago.  I don't know about this.  Have I jumped into something above my head or am  I making excuses and just being a scary cat?  I made the decision to put my big girl pants on and just do it if this is truly my passion .  I received the release and music to practice from for body flow and RPM class to practice from since I've never instructed a fitness class.  I downloaded the music and I practiced with daughter,  I practiced on my van pool in my head,on the way to work, I practiced in my head in the car, and I practiced walking in the stores in between the clothes aisles.

Auditions came around earlier than I've expected due to some scheduling conflicts.  There were around 9 women who participating n the open audition.  It was great all the participants also stood in as class to teach.  That was a little bit of relief to me.  I thought if would have been just me auditioning in front of a panel of people like in Flash Dance.  So luckily the is someone else that is auditioning for spin class, two for  yoga, three for body pump, two for body step and two for zumba.  The two spin classes were up first.  Thank goodness I went second.  The nerves started to try take over but I did not let them take me over.  I took a deep breathe and jumped outside my comfort zone and claimed it!!  It was my turn for the RPM spin audition for 5 minutes of track 3.  I put on the headpiece microphone,  got on the spin bike,  welcomed everyone to RPM and I took everyone on a 5 minutes ride filled with hills and endurance.  Woohoo! I did it! NEXT!  That morning I took two spin classes, three weights training class, two step classes, two zumba classes and the yoga classes including my other I taught.  That audition day meant so much to me because I discovered another side of myself that was hiding in me.  I am embracing my new discovery and I am running with it.

So it was almost week later and I received an email from my gym tell me they wanted to invite me to the next step for their  specific training. WOOHOO.  My new journey continues and I am excited.  To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment